I am a qualified and CORU-certified Speech and Language Therapist. I qualified in 2002 still absolutely love my work, bringing bundles of enthusiasm to all I do! I am really positive and encouraging person. I value building confidence and self-esteem as well as effective therapy techniques….whilst having lots of fun too!
- An enthusiastic advocate for social model of disability:
- Stammer ally
- Actively listen to the lived experiences of the communities I work with
- Neurodiversity affirmative
My recent learning and study experiences:
- Collobarated on creation of a new web page about Stammering Pride for Irish Stammering Association (ISAD 2021)
- Neurodiversity affirmative paradigm for professionals (Psychology Society of Ireland)
- Principles of play therapy with adolescents (Edel Lawlor, Children’s Therapy Centre)
- Webinar: Utilizing Fun Websites to Facilitate Functional Conversation with School-Aged Children Who Stutter (Dr Eric Raj)
- Webinar: How To Evaluate the TOP and BOTTOM of the Stuttering Iceberg
- Webinar: Utilizing Fun Websites with School-aged Children Who Stutter (Schneider Speech)
- Webinar: Humanistic Counselling for Clients Who Stutter
- Webinar: Armoring Children for the Slings and Arrows of Stuttering (Eileen Kelly, Stuttering Foundation)
- Working with Parents of Children Who Stutter: Supporting Change Using SFBT (Ali Burquez, Stuttering Foundation)
- Helping School-Age Children Who Stutter Evolve Communicative Competence (Kristin Chmela, Stuttering Foundation)
- Implementing Cognitive Behavior Therapy with School-Age Children who Stutter (Lisa Scott, Stuttering Foundation)
- Stuttering Well: A Conversation About the Self-Management of Stuttering (Christopher Constantino, Stuttering Foundation)
- Emotional Regulation in Children Who Stutter (Kurt Eggers, Stuttering Foundation)
- The Clinical Utility of Self-Disclosure and Voluntary Stuttering (Courtney Byrd, Stuttering Foundation)
- Covert Stuttering: Transitioning from Covert to Overt (Vivian Sisskin, Stuttering Foundation)
- Valuing Neurodiversity in SLT Practice (Autism SIG with Access Communication CIC)
- Stammering Plus – when children who stammer also have ASD (Palin Centre for Stammering)
- Fluency and Autism Spectrum Disorders-Understanding and managing the complexity’ (Kathleen Scaler-Scott, National UK Dysfluency CEN)
- Presented at IASLT Stammering CPD day: “A Journey in Allyship with Stammering and the Social Model” (Penny Farrell with Edel O’Dea who spoke about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- Stammering: activist conversations continued (Sam Simpson and Patrick Campbell, City Lit)
- Parent Coaching via Telepractice (IASLT)
- Using Bitmoji Virtual Classrooms in SLT (IASLT)
- Practical Teletherapy for Speech and Language Therapists (IASLT)
- Working with Students using Telepractice (IASLT)
- SLP Telecon: Telepractice series
- Making Confident Decisions When Treating Childhood Apraxia of Speech
- Difference not defect: stammering activism, empowerment and pride: a course for people who stammer and speech and language therapists (Sam Simpson and Patrick Campbell, City Lit)
- Various podcasts such as StutterTalk, SLPNow and The Other Side of the Spectrum.
My clinic spaces
- My clinic is based in my home and I also work online.
- I have a green screen station and invested in equipment and digital therapy materials for online therapy sessions.
- My in-person therapy space is in my sunroom. It is bright and airy, with open windows to provide ventilation. I follow the relevant Covid safety guidelines: ventialtion, use of Covid declaration forms, adults wear a mask and are socially distanced from me. I have a special cotton mask with a clear panel so speech work is not impacted by an opaque mask.
- I have lots of games, art and crafts to keep us happily occupied while we work!
- I provide a really personal service, and will go to great efforts to include special interests into therapy activities. I have made activities with everything from Peppa, Paw Patrol and Pokemon to Jurassic Park, Minecraft and chess! It’s important that the young people I see are engaged and excited to be working with me because learning becomes a joy for everyone.
- I work with adults and will work with you to meet your best hopes for therapy and the goals you wish to achieve.
Fun stuff about me!
- I love to bake (cakes!) and hang out with my family. We have a dog, three cats and twelve rescue hens. I am trying to learn how to garden/grow vegetables. I love swimming, reading and daydreaming 🙂